The sports development service provided by Banbridge District Council is aimed at creating, enhancing and promoting sporting opportunities for all in the Banbridge District. This aim is primarily being achieved through partnership working between Banbridge District Council, Banbridge District Sports Association, Southern Sports Partnership, Southern Education and Library Board, Sport Northern Ireland, local schools, sports clubs and associations.
The key responsibilities of providing a quality sports development service include:
- Implementing the Banbridge District Sports Strategy 2005-2010
- Organising, co-ordinating and promoting sports courses for young people in the District via the Easter and Summer Activity Programmes and the Wildcats Programme
- Managing an educational support programme for local clubs and coaches
- Organising and co-ordintaing both senior and junior sports award evenings each year
- Supporting sports individuals and clubs through the provision of grants
- Developing and maintaining a Sports Directory for the District
- Supporting junior clubs, schools of excellence, Active Communities, developing a coaches' database, assisting new junior clubs, organising fun days for new sports, sourcing funding and assisting clubs with funding applications
Banbridge District Sports Association
This Association, which comprises representatives of local sports organisations, clubs, schools and individuals as well as councillors and officers of Banbridge District Council, has a key role to play in developing sports opportunities for everyone living or working in the Banbridge District. All sporting/recreational organisations, clubs and individuals operating in the District may apply to become affiliated members. There are many advantages to be gained from membership. These include:
- Grants for approved Coaching & Refereeing Education Courses up to 50% of costs.
- Grants for Sporting Individuals.
- Grants for National/International Coaches.
- Membership of the International Sportstar Club.
- Priority of places on the Annual Coach Education Programme.
- Have the opportunity to be elected to represent your sport on the Association.
The annual membership fee is minimal: £25 for clubs, £10 for individuals and £5 junior individuals. Members of the Banbridge District Sports Association meet on average once a month at 7.30pm at the Hockey Club, Banbridge. If you or your club would like to join, please complete an application form or contact:
Banbridge District Sports Association, Civic Building, Downshire Road, Banbridge, Co. Down BT32 3JY
T: 028 4066 0605
Gillian Dewart - Sports Development Officer
Community and Enterprise Department, Banbridge District Council, Civic Building, Downshire Road, Banbridge, Co. Down BT32 3JY
T: 028 4066 0637
F: 028 4066 0601