|Name of Structure:
||First Presbyterian (Non-Subscribing)
||Downshire Rd, Banbridge
|Who Built it:
Built c 1864 this is one of the last and best of the classical Presbyterian churches of Ulster. A splendid tetrastyle Ionic pedimented stucco portico raised on a granite plinth. The interior is extremely fine. The U-shaped gallery is carried on unusual slim green-painted cast-iron Roman Ionic columns. The box pews are excellent.
There is a tall traditional pulpit with precentorís box below, reached by double-curved flights of 13 stairs flanked by cast-iron balusters. The compartmented ceiling has an enormous feathered central rose. In the vestibule there are twin curling staircases to the gallery; the floor is of ancient granite slabs and there is a good memorial tablet to Hugh Dunbar by R Love of Belfast. The detailing of the church throughout is of the highest quality, the church being of particular merit.
Information taken from Ulster Architectural Heritage Societyís "List of Buildings, Groups of Buildings, Areas of Architectural Importance in the Borough of Banbridge" and E R R Greenís "The Industrial Archaeology of County Down."