|Name of Structure:
||Rathfriland Road, Banbridge
|Who Built it:
||Designed by Thomas Jackson + Thomas Duff
Belmont House was built to the designs of the architect Thomas Jackson. He and his partner, Thomas Duff, had the bulk of their practice in South Down, both being very prolific architects. Jackson was the architect responsible for many of the buildings in Belfast, including the Old Museum (1831) and the ‘Gothick’ St Malachy’s Church (1840).
Belmont House was built, according to a date stone, "V D 1853". It is a three bay, two storey house of horizontally rusticated golden freestone with a tetrastyle Ionic portico; a fine example of the Greek revival style at its late best.
The house was built for the McClelland family who owned the "Bann Weaving Factory". The house remained in the possession of the McClellands until the 1900s when it was bought by W Anderson Smyth (better known as Jumbo) of the well-known Smyth linen family whose factory was at Brookfield. Belmont House is now a family run hotel.