The Loughbrickland Historic Trail is a self-guided trail taking the walker on a journey of discovery exploring the built and natural heritage of the attractive and historic village of Loughbrickland. Located approx. 2.5 mile south of Banbridge.
The route outlined in the trail guide can be up to 4.5 mile – this includes an optional off-road section using rough woodland and country trail within the private Whyte Estate.Hopefully, the trail guide will prompt a desire to find out more about the rich heritage of this part of CountyDown.
The busy A1 Dual Carriageway carrying traffic from Belfast to Banbridge, Newry and Dublin bisects the village of Loughbrickland from Lough Brickland from which it takes it name and it is at the lakeshore that this self-guided trail begins.
Set in the drumlin country of CountyDown the trail starts near the junction of the B3 with the A1.Travelling south along the A1 at Loughbrickland take the road signed for Rathfriland (Grovehill Road) and the first turn off on the right which leads to the lake, a row of houses and a parking area.Here the trail commencesas from here you can get a good view of the manmade island in the lake, known as a ‘crannog’ from the Irish for tree – the main material used in their construction.
It was at the lake that Marmaduke Whitechurch from Staffordshire was granted lands by Elizabeth 1 in 1585 and instructed to build a castle to protect ‘a pass’ on this strategic location ‘where three roads united.’The Magennis Clan, the ‘Lords of Iveagh’, ruled much of this area of CountyDown but the time of the Irish Lords was coming to an end along with much of the Gaelic culture of Ulster.Marmaduke Whitechurch built a mill, a church and obtained the grant of a market and two fairs.He brought in settlers from England thus began the modern village.In the troubles of 1641 the castle was dismantled and the town destroyed by fire and remained this way until 1688 when the church was rebuilt and other buildings were later replaced.King William on his way to the battle of the Boyne in 1690 encamped with his troops near the lake.During World War II troops of all many nationalities camped and trained in the Whyte Estate at the northern end of the village.
Return to the car park and walk to the Grovehill Road and cross it and go through the underpass under the A1 and follow the instructions in the trail guide through the village.This highlights many of the interesting and attractive buildings in the village and follows a route through the village park.
You can confine your walk to the village or the more intrepid can continue the trail by entering the Whyte Estate at the far end of Scarva Street and taking the option of a shorter or longer circular walk within the estate.The Whyte family are related by marriage to Marmaduke Whitechurch and have continued to play an important role in the development of the village over the years.
Leaving the estate follow the directions in the trail guide to return to the starting point via the village park.
Route Fact File
Up to 4.65 mile/7.48 km (approx.)
Trail within the Whyte Estate follows a woodland trail and country lane and surfaces can be rough, uneven and muddy. There are many kissing gates and rambler stiles along the route, steps and rough crossing areas. The Whyte Estate is private property to which the landowner, Dr. Jean Whyte has granted public access along the way marked trails only under an agreement with Banbridge District Council. Please stay on the trails and respect the private notices.
The woods will be closed from time to time throughout the year to accommodate archery competitions. Ballyvally Archery Club will post notices at gates. The path will be closed on the following dates in 2013: Saturday 19th & Sunday 20th January, Saturday 20th & Sunday 21st April, Saturday 18th & Sunday 19th May, Sunday 2nd June and Sunday 28th July (Autumn dates still to be arranged).
Start and Finish:
The starting point for the trail is not the village but the Lakeview Road car park located on the shores of Loughbrickland Lake approx. 0.5 mile from the village.
At Lakeview car park or village.
J109416 – Lakeview Road car park
Shops, café and restaurant in village.
The F.E. Mc William Gallery & Studio, 200 Newry Road, Banbridge, County Down, BT32 JNB
This facility houses an art gallery, sculpture garden, café and tourist information point.Opened in September 2008, the F.E. McWilliam Gallery and Studio is dedicated to the memory of the successful Banbridge born sculptor Frederick Edward McWilliam (1909 -1992).McWilliam is an internationally known sculptor of eclectic style – described as ‘An inventor of styles’.He was a contemporary and knew such artists, amongst others, as Brancusi, Henry Moore and the painter William Scott.When he died his executors left his London studio and many examples of his work in different stages to the state with a view to it being displayed in his native town.The studio has been lovingly reconstructed by Banbridge District Council in a peaceful sculpture garden at this small modern gallery which houses many examples of his work.
It is located approx. 2 mile from Loughbrickland, just off the A1, heading towards Banbridge.Join the A1 for a short distance taking the first exit (A26) to Banbridge.Follow to roundabout and pick up signage for the Gallery & Studio here (it is located next to this roundabout).
OpenMonday to Saturday .
Lisnagade Fort:the only large triple-ringed earthwork recorded in
CountyDown.It is a State Care monument located approx. 200 metres across a field (in agricultural use) off the Lisnagade Road, a couple of miles NW of Loughbrickland. (Grid ref: J087441).Leave the village via Scarva Street.Beyond the village boundary take the 2nd road on the right, the Lisnagade Road – continue north thru x-road for approx. ½ mile, looking for a small lay-by and pedestrian gate on the left.The fort is located towards the junction of the Lisnagade Road with the B3 Scarva/Glenloughan Road.To visit Scarva continue along the road to its junction with the B3, turn left onto this road and follow to the village.
ScarvaVillage & NewryCanal Towpath:The small
village of Scarva is located along the former NewryPortadownCanal.It is located about 3.7 miles or 10 minutes drive west of Loughbrickland along the B3.The towpath forms part of the Newry Canal Way and provides an excellent flat cycle or walking route.The village also has an attractive park located next to ScarvaPrimary School, off Main Street.
A pdf document of Loughbrickland Historic Trail can be down loaded under Publications. Copies are available free of charge from various outlets in Loughbrickland Village or by contacting Banbridge Tourist Information:
T: 028 4062 9054 E: firstname.lastname@example.org
Route Finder From Banbridge take the A1 south to Loughbrickland. At Loughbrickland take the turn-off signed for Rathfriland, the B3 (Grovehill Road) turning almost immediately into Lakeview Road on the right.
Points of Interest Crannog visible in Loughbrickland Lake, historic village, attractive 2.5 mile circular walk within Whyte Estate with two ringforts along the route. The village park off the Poyntzpass Road.