The arts and events service provided by Banbridge District Council aims to promote a vibrant local arts sector as well as improving opportunities for everyone to participate in local arts and cultural events. This is achieved by organising a full programme of arts and cultural events throughout the year and strategically developing local arts across the District.
The key responsibilities of providing a quality arts and events development service include:
- Co-ordinating and managing a full programme of arts and cultural events across the District throughout the year featuring music, theatre, dance, crafts and drama
- Organising a series of regular community events such as Banbridge BuskFest, Dromore May Fair, Scarva bandstand concerts, fireworks displays at Halloween and Christmas celebrations and festivities
- Introducing new major events to the District such as the European Pipe Band Championships, which was hosted in Banbridge in June 2005 and was attended by over 10,000 people from all parts of the world
- Supporting the local economy and arts sector by hosting events in local venues and employing local professional artists, crafters and performers
Improving access to the arts for everyone such as introducing the Ulster Orchestra music workshops to local schools
- Accessing funding from various bodies in order to support the development of the local arts sector. For example, the Service was awarded £30,000 from the Arts Council of Northern Ireland to sustain a three-year arts programme for the new theatre facility within Iveagh Movie Studios. This has also helped to bring international acts such as ‘The Three Tenors’ to Banbridge
- Working in partnership with other councils and arts bodies in order to target areas of need. For example, the Service is currently running a three-year 'Art of Regeneration' programme to enable the most needy community areas to bring about positive change through various arts projects.
Banbridge District Arts Committee
Banbridge District Arts Committee is primarily responsible for developing the local arts sector. It consists of local people who are involved in the arts sector including art and drama teachers, professional writers, musicians, artists and crafters. The Council supports the work of the Committee by awarding it an annual grant of £10,000 to run events such as the Community Arts Festival, Craft Fair and support arts workshops throughout the year. A proportion of these funds are also used to allocate grants to local arts and community groups for a variety of projects. The Council’s Arts and Events Officer is the Secretary of the Committee and oversees the running of all arts events and activities organised by the Committee.
Leah Duncan - Arts and Events Officer
Leisure and Development Department, Banbridge District Council, Civic Building, Downshire Road, Banbridge, Co. Down BT32 3JY
T: 028 4066 0632
F: 028 4066 0601